Course DescriptionMindfulness is being taught in schools across the country, fueled by teachers who are working to help students learn to drop into stillness, focus attention and learn a type of kindness that promotes harmony in the classroom. In this workshop, you will learn stress reduction techniques, practice mindfulness and develop lessons in kindness curriculum to use with your students. You will also take away a variety of products and resources to use in your classroom. Come discover why mindfulness was on the cover of Time magazine and why it is being practiced in major corporations like Google, Facebook, Target and more!
The workshop will include:
- An introduction to mindfulness
- Mindfulness concepts that relate to teaching and learning, including acceptance, awareness, compassion and patience
- Kindness curriculum
- Teaching about stillness
- Developing lesson plans with mindfulness and assessing student learning mindfully
- Practice and professional resources for teachers
All attendees will be able to:
- Learn about mindfulness
- Include components of social and emotional learning in lessons
- Develop lessons in kindness curriculum
- Practice components that promote relaxation
- Learn to construct a “peace corner” in the room
- Network with other teachers who teach mindfulness to students
- Help students to develop a sense of calm and focus in class
- Learn about mindful classrooms and how they contribute to calm, attentive students.
- Practice methods for teaching students to self-soothe in times of anxiety or sadness.
- Educators can earn 6 SCECHs.
- Light refreshments and lunch are provided.